Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bubble and scrape

I have been working very hard on editing Scary Go Round book 8, which now has a title - "Recklessly Yours"! I hope to have it out in April but you know how these things slide. I've fixed dozens of pages that were either rushed or put out in a state of high vexation, cut a few pages, drawn some new ones and redrawn bits and pieces, it has been a dickens of a job. You cannot imagine how many times I had to nudge an errant eye six pixels in one direction or another.

Some pages (like the girls' various fanzines) had to go because they were full of copyrighted photos. A few pages were makeweights to pad out a week or missteps that I was pleased to cut. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that a difficult year of comics to make was a lot more together than I expected it to be.

(In a lot of the more grave cases the finished article was only about 15-30 minutes tinkering away. I think I had tunnel vision for most of the last year of the comic)

I suppose you can look forward to three or four abortive attempts at the cover next. Covers are very hard! Maybe I'll just ask Chris Ware to do it. "Recklessly" is a much longer word than "Yours". I'm going to need help... from the professionals.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

John, the fanzines were some of the best single episodes of the last (or any) year--it would be a real shame to lose them altogether. Maybe you could just replace the copywrited material with whimsical caricatures of celebs?

Nicole Robitaille said...

So happy it's going to happen! I like the title too :)

John A said...

Patrick: I am going to put together a little section of the website where book buyers can download and print out the fanzines in PDF format for themselves.

Nicole : I am pleased too! I just hope enough people are interested to make it a success.

Dharmabum said...

John, this is very exciting news!!! Paypal is standing by, though I hope they sit until April, for this last edition.

And when can we expect the limited edition - leather bound, and hand number - for the true SGR connoisseur?

John A said...

I think the best thing to do might be to have it leather bound yourself at a book binder, then post it to me and I'll number it 1 of 1. That's probably the most economical way to satisfy demand.

Unknown said...

That is great news. I will most likely pre-order it as a 2-pack with book 7 (which I had to pass on last year, sadly). Hope I'll be able to get an Erin minicomic :)

That will also mean I will have all SGR books except "Blame the Sky". I feel elitist for some reason...